Cartoonist – Changing Ideas into Shapes:
Cartoon is an important part of Print Media. Most of us must have seen them in Newspaper and Magazines and Comics. In comics the cartoon may be for humour but the cartoons in newspaper are for some serious issues. They have very few words written in it, but they tell a complete story. Pran, the famous cartoonist and inventor of “Chacha Choudhary”, says that it is an art of changing ideas into shapes.
This Page Includes-
- Who can be a good cartoonist
- How to start your career as a Cartoonist
- Pros and Cons
The job of a cartoonist is a creative profession. Its only for those whose have got some creative ideas and ability to draw them on paper. All of us must have seen the cartoons of R.K.Lakshman in National Magazines and Newspapers. He is an inspiration for most of the cartoonists in India.
Who can be a good cartoonist :
- Who is good in making sketches.
- Who have lots of creative ideas.
- Who can analyze things with the eyes of a journalist.
Various institutes which offer courses in cartooning:
- Pran Media Institute, Noida
- BAF College of Art, Delhi University
- Maharaja Sayaji Rao University, Baroda (www.msubaroda.ac.in)
- Sir JJ School of Art, Mumbai
How to start your career as a Cartoonist:
In the beginning it would be better if you have a Diploma or PG Diploma related to the subject of Drawing/Painting. A degree/diploma in Journalism will be an added advantage. Then make your complete profile and go to the publishers of Newspapers and Magazines and show them your best sketches and cartoons.
In the beginning you might have to work as a freelancer. Try to remain updated about the current events happening and make sketches related to those topics. If you have got the real talent then you will definitely get a good job.
- Sometimes a cartoonist can become more popular than the journalists
- Sometimes there is very minor difference between healthy humour and personal comments. A cartoonist should always take care of it.
- There are very less opportunities in this career and competition is much more. If you think that you will not be able to make it, then there should be some alternate source of income available for you.
Check this Section:
|Career as a Journalist||Get Details|
|Career Options After 12th||Get Details|
|Career Development Skills||Get Details|
|Career in Event Manager||Get Details|