UPSC Civil Services Syllabus
Civil Services Examination is considered as one of the toughest and the most prestigious paper in India. Union Public Service Commission is conducting UPSC IAS Exam on 03 June 2019. To know structure of paper, download UPSC Civil Services Syllabus Subject-Wise PDF for (Pre, Mains and Interview) from below of page.
|UPSC Civil Services Syllabus 2019|
|Conducting Body||Union Public Service Commission|
|Job Title||Indian Civil Service|
|No. of Vacancies||Updated Soon|
|Category||UPSC Civil Services Syllabus|
|Mains Exam||July/August 2019|
|Selection Procedure||Pre, Mains, Interview|
|Admit Card Available Date||Intimate soon|
UPSC Civil Services Syllabus
UPSC Civil Services Exam Pattern 2019:
UPSC Civil Services Prelims Exam Pattern 2019:
|Paper No.||Max Marks|
|2 hours for Each Subject|
|General Studies 1||200|
|General Studies 2||200|
Points To Be Noted For Civil Services Prelims Exam 2019:
- Prelims Examination is an Objective type of Examination with Multiple Choice Questions
- Exam consists of two papers namely Paper I and Paper II, which will be of 02 to 02 hours duration.
UPSC Civil Services Prelims Syllabus
UPSC Civil Services Paper I Syllabus:
|Current events of national and|
|History of India and Indian|
National Movement added in
UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Exam Syllabus
|Indian and World Geography -Physical,|
Social, Economic Geography of India
and the World added in UPSC Civil Services Pre Syllabus
|Indian Polity and Governance –|
Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj,
Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc
|Economic and Social Development –|
Sustainable Development, Poverty,
Inclusion, Demographics, Social
Sector initiatives, etc.
|General issues on Environmental|
Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate
Change – that do not require
subject specialization added in
UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Syllabus
Must Read: Tips to Manage Time In Exam
UPSC Civil Services Paper II Syllabus:
|Interpersonal skills including|
|Logical reasoning and|
|General mental ability|
|Basic numeracy (numbers and their|
relations, orders of magnitude, etc.)
(Class X level), Data interpretation
(charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency
etc. – Class X level).
|English Language Comprehension skills|
(Class X level) added in
UPSC Civil Services Pre Exam Syllabus
Check Out Here: Common Mistakes You Make in Tests
UPSC Civil Services Main Exam Pattern 2019:
|Subjects Description||Max Marks|
|Paper-A :One of the Indian|
Languages to be selected by the
candidate from the 18 languages included
in the VIIIth Schedule to the Constitution (Qualifying Paper)
|Paper-B : English (Qualifying Paper)||300|
|Papers To Be Counted For Merit|
|Paper-I : Essay||250|
|Papers II :General Studies I||250|
|Papers III :General Studies II||250|
|Papers IV :General Studies III||250|
|Papers V :General Studies IV||250|
|Papers VI :Optional Subjects Paper 1||250|
|Papers VII : Optional Subjects Paper 2||250|
|Total Marks for Written|
Important Points concerning UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam 2019:
- Mains Examination is a written Examination.
- It consists of 9 Papers out of which 2 are Qualifying in nature namely Paper A and Paper B; remaining 7 papers which are namely Paper I to Paper VII which are based on Ranking.
- Questions will be available in Hindi as well as English.
UPSC Civil Services Mains Syllabus
Civil Services Mains 2019 Exam contains nine (9) papers including optional (2 papers) which is Descriptive in nature.
UPSC Civil Services Mains Qualifying Paper Syllabus:
|Paper – A Any Indian Language:|
|For this examination candidates have to choose|
one language from the Languages included in the
Eighth Schedule to the Constitution.
|This exam is not compulsory for applicants hailing|
from the States of Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur,
Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Sikkim
|This paper is conducted to test eligibility of|
aspirants and to check skills of aspirants in
English and Indian Language concerned.
|Aspirants are selected on basis of some facts|
like how they understand these languages and
how they express their ideas clearly and correctly.
|The pattern of questions would be generally as follows:-Comprehension of given passagesPrecise WritingUsage and Vocabulary|
Do You Know: How to Prepare for Written Exam
UPSC Civil Services Mains Paper 1 Syllabus:
- Candidates required to write essays on multiple topics.
- They will be expected to keep closely to the subject of the essay to arrange their ideas in orderly fashion and to write concisely Credit will be given for effective and exact expression.
UPSC CSE Syllabus – Paper 2- General Studies Paper 1:
Indian Heritage/ Culture, World History & Geography
|Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from|
olden to present times.
|Modern Indian history from about the middle|
of the eighteenth century until the present-
significant events, personalities, issues
|The Freedom Struggle – its various stages|
and important contributors /contributions
from different parts of the country.
|Post-independence consolidation and|
restructuring within the country
|History of the world will include events|
from 18th Century.
|Salient Features of Indian Society,|
Diversity of India
|Role of women and women’s organization.|
|Effects of globalization on Indian Society|
|Salient Features of world’s|
|Distribution of Key Natural Resources|
Across the world
|Important Geographical Phenomena|
|India and its neighborhoods-relations|
|Bilateral, Regional and global|
|Effects of policies|
|Important international institutions etc|
Get Best Answer: How To Prepare For GK
Paper 3- General Studies 2:
Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International Relations:
- Functions and duties of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
- Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
- Development processes and the development industry- the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
- Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies.
- Government Policies and interventions for development in various sectors
- Development process and the development industry
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable section of the population by centre and states.
- Issue relating to development
- Issues relating to poverty and hunger
- Important aspects of Governance
- Role of Civil Services in a democracy
- Role of external state
- Challenges of internal security through communications networks
- Security challenges
- Various security forces and agencies and their mandate etc
START Now: General Knowledge Online Test
Paper 4- General Studies 3:
Technology, Economic Development, Bio-Diversity, Environment, Security & Disaster Management:
|Inclusive growth and issues arising|
|Government Budgeting added in|
UPSC Civil Services Syllabus
|Development, Bio diversity, Environment,|
Security and Disaster Management.
|Security challenges and their management in|
border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism
|Food processing and related industries in India-|
scope and significance, location, upstream
and downstream requirements, supply
|Various Security forces and agencies and|
|Indian Economy and issues relating to planning,|
mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment
|Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation,|
environmental impact assessment.
|Disaster and disaster management|
|Linkages between development and|
spread of extremism
|Land reforms in India|
|Effects of Liberalization on the economy|
|Infrastructure: Energy, ports, roads etc|
|Science and technology|
|Achievements of Indian in Science and|
technology added in UPSC Civil Services Syllabus
|Awareness in the fields of IT, Space,|
|Conversation, environmental pollution|
|Disaster and Disaster Management|
|Linkages between development and|
spread of extremism etc
Paper 5- General Studies 4:
Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude:
- Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships.
- Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and behaviour; moral and political attitudes; social influence and persuasion.
- Emotional intelligence-concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
- Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
- Probity in Governance: Concept of Public Service
- Case studies on Above Issues etc
Read Out: GK Questions with Answers
Paper 6 & 7 Optional 1 (Of your choice)/ Optional 2 (Of your choice):
Applicants can choose any optional from the subjects, which are given below and also download Civil Services Optional Subjects Syllabus / Civil Services Syllabus Pdf In Hindi
|5||Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science|
|9||Commerce and Accountancy|
|20||Political Science and International|
Press Here For: UPSC Official Link
More Links Related To UPSC
UPSC Civil Services Exam 2019:
Civil Services Preliminary Exam 2019 (objective) will be conducted on June 02, 2019 (Sunday). It comprise of two compulsory papers of 200 marks each (General Studies Paper I and General Studies Paper II).
The questions will be of multiple choice objective types. The marks in prelims will not be counted for final ranking. Qualified aspirants under prelims will undergo UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam organizing on September 20, 2019.
What after qualifying UPSC Civil Services Pre/Mains 2019?
Qualified aspirants under Mains will be interviewed by a Board. The object of the interview is to assess the personal suitability of the candidate for a career in public service. Personality Test will be of 275 marks.
Through interview, mental calibre of a candidate will be judged. On release of more updates concerning UPSC Civil Services Exam 2019, we will update you. Keep tuned with us.
Must Read: Interview Preparation Tips
Contenders may plan their preparation by referring UPSC Civil Services Syllabus 2019-20. Stay connected with us for more updates about UPSC Civil Services Exam 2019.