Civil Services Syllabus
This Year, Lot Of Changes Done By UPSC In Civil Services Syllabus and It Is Easiest Syllabi Ever, Check Now!!! Union public service commission conducts Civil Services examination yearly for filling up various vacant positions including Indian Administrative Service, Indian Foreign Service, and Indian Police Service among others. Huge number of candidate’s participant in the recruitment exam.
Aspirants, who’re going to appear in UPSC Civil Services Exam and waiting for the syllabus to study accordingly, may get their syllabus and UPSC Civil Service Exam Pattern through this web page. Contenders may also download Civil Services Prelims Exam Syllabus or Civil Services Main Exam Syllabus in PDF format from the official website through online mode.
Aspirants can start their preparation according to the new pattern of UPSC Civil Services course outline for better results. The written examination (main) will consist of the following nine papers, but only 7 papers will be counted for final merit ranking.
The following are the Civil Services Syllabus which is well framed on this page by the team of recruitmentresult.com. Candidates are advised to comprehend the complete details provided on this page.
Civil Services Syllabus
Civil Services Preliminary Exam Syllabus
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography -Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance -Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization
- General Science.
To Prepare Well For Civil Services Exam, Must Check Below Given Preparation Tips:-
|How to Prepare for Reasoning||How To Prepare For GK|
|History Online Quiz||How to Prepare for English|
|World Geography Questions and Answers||Latest Current Affairs Updates|
- Interpersonal skills including Communication Skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level).
- English Language Comprehension skills (Class X level)
Civil Services Mains Exam Syllabus
Paper – A Any Indian Language:
- For this examination candidates have to choose one language from the Languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution.
- This exam is not compulsory for applicants hailing from the States of Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Sikkim.
- This paper is conducted to test eligibility of aspirants and to check skills of aspirants in English and Indian Language concerned.
- Aspirants are selected on basis of some facts like how they understand these languages and how they express their ideas clearly and correctly.
- The pattern of questions would be generally as follows:-
1) Comprehension of given passages
2) Precise Writing
3) Usage and Vocabulary
Paper 1- Essay:
- Candidates may be required to write essays on multiple topics.
- They will be expected to keep closely to the subject of the essay to arrange their ideas in orderly fashion and to write concisely Credit will be given for effective and exact expression.
Paper 2- General Studies 1:
Indian Heritage/ Culture, World History & Geography:
- Indian culture will cover the main feature of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from olden to present times.
- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues
- The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors /contributions from different parts of the country.
- Post-independence consolidation and restructuring within the country
- History of the world will include events from 18th Century.
- Salient Features of Indian Society, Diversity of India
- Role of women and women’s organization.
- Effects of globalization on Indian Society
- Social Empowerment
- Salient Features of world’s Physical Geography
- Distribution of Key Natural Resources Across the world
- Important Geographical Phenomena
- India and its neighborhoods-relations
- Bilateral, Regional and global groupings
- Effects of policies
- Important international institutions etc
You May Read This: Strategies To Improve Memory
Paper 3- General Studies 2:
Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International Relations:
- Functions and duties of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
- Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
- Development processes and the development industry- the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
- Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies.
- Government Policies and interventions for development in various sectors
- Development process and the development industry
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable section of the population by centre and states.
- Issue relating to development
- Issues relating to poverty and hunger
- Important aspects of Governance
- Role of Civil Services in a democracy
- Role of external state
- Challenges of internal security through communications networks
- Security challenges
- Various security forces and agencies and their mandate etc
Have A Look On this Useful Section of UPSC
|UPSC Notification||UPSC Eligibility Criteria|
|Strategy for UPSC Examination||List of UPSC Entrance Exam|
|UPSC Calendar||UPSC Syllabus|
|UPSC Result||UPSC Books|
|UPSC Admit Card||UPSC Answer Key|
Paper 4- General Studies 3:
Technology, Economic Development, Bio-Diversity, Environment, Security & Disaster Management:
- Inclusive growth and issues arising from it.
- Government Budgeting.
- Development, Bio diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management.
- Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism.
- Food processing and related industries in India- scope and significance, location, upstream and downstream requirements, supply chain management.
- Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate.
- Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
- Disaster and disaster management.
- Linkages between development and spread of extremism.
- Land reforms in India.
- Effects of Liberalization on the economy
- Infrastructure: Energy, ports, roads etc
- Investment models
- Science and technology
- Achievements of Indian in Science and technology
- Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers etc.
- Conversation, environmental pollution and degradation.
- Disaster and Disaster Management
- Linkages between development and spread of extremism etc
Read Here: How To Find Online Study Material
Paper 5- General Studies 4:
Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude:
- Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships.
- Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and behaviour; moral and political attitudes; social influence and persuasion.
- Emotional intelligence-concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
- Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
- Probity in Governance: Concept of Public Service
- Case studies on Above Issues etc
Paper 6 & 7 Optional 1 (Of your choice)/ Optional 2 (Of your choice):
Applicants can choose any optional from the subjects, which are giving.
List of Optional Subjects for Main Examination
|5.||Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science|
|9.||Commerce and Accountancy|
|20.||Political Science and International Relations|
Civil Services Exam Pattern
Civil Services Prelims Exam Pattern:
- The Prelims Examination is an Objective type of Examination with Multiple Choice Questions (the candidate has to choose an option from the given options for that question).
- This examination consists of two papers namely Paper I and Paper II.
- The Paper I contains 200 marks and Paper II also contains 200 marks.
- The Duration for Paper I is 2 hours as well as Paper II is also 2 hours.
|Paper No.||Duration||Max Marks|
|General Studies 1||2 hours||200|
|General Studies 2||2 hours||200|
UPSC Online Practice Test:- Give Now
Civil Services Main Exam Pattern:
- The Mains Examination is a written Examination.
- It consists of 9 Papers out of which 2 are Qualifying in nature namely Paper A and Paper B; remaining 7 papers which are namely Paper I to Paper VII which are based on Ranking.
- The Questions will be available in Hindi as well as English in the Question Papers.
|Paper Details||Subjects Description||Max Marks|
|Paper-A||One of the Indian Languages to be selected by the candidate from the 18 languages included in the VIIIth Schedule to the Constitution (Qualifying Paper)||300|
|Paper-B||English (Qualifying Paper)||300|
|Papers To Be Counted For Merit|
|Papers II||General Studies I||250|
|Papers III||General Studies II||250|
|Papers IV||General Studies III||250|
|Papers V||General Studies IV||250|
|Papers VI||Optional Subjects Paper 1||250|
|Papers VII||Optional Subjects Paper 2||250|
|Total Marks for Written Examination||1750|
Check Now: Civil Services Exam Pattern
Contenders, who have declared qualified in UPSC Preliminary or Mains examination, are called to attend interview rounds. It is the final round to select application for particular posts and the interview session will be of 275 marks.
Do you know that…..?
Union Public Service Commission established in 1 October 1926 which is Indian Central agency authorized to conduct Civil Services examination every year to recruit deserving and skilled candidates for the civil services of the government of India. It executes in two stages preliminary exam and main exam followed by the interview. Many contenders attend the exams and eligible candidates successfully qualified among them. The exam is offered different languages and optional subjects for the candidate’s benefits.
Get Details: UPSC Civil Services Exam
Applicants, you may open this Official Link to get more information about Civil Services Syllabus 2017.
After reading the complete information of above mentioned advertisement, if anybody has any type of query then writes in comment box. We will try to solve your query as soon as we can. You may also follow us on Face book and Google plus to acquire latest notifications time to time about recruitments, admit cards, answer keys, results etc directly on your timeline. You may also bookmark this page by using CTRL + D.