GATE Mechanical Syllabus
Indian Institute of Technology, Madras has prescribed GATE Mechanical Syllabus for GATE 2019 Exam. Appearing candidates in GATE Exam For ME can check Topic Wise Weightage and download GATE Mechanical Engineering Syllabus PDF from here.
GATE Mechanical Syllabus 2019 for Mechanical Engineering will help the candidates know the section-wise from which questions will be asked in GATE Exam 2019. Candidates, who’re going to appear in GATE Entrance Exam, can start their preparation according to updated GATE ME Syllabus.
GATE Mechanical Engineering Syllabus Download PDF
Go through the complete page that is maintained by the team of recruitmentresult.com and fetch complete information about GATE Mechanical Exam Pattern and you can also download GATE Mechanical Syllabus PDF by continuing this page.
IIT, Madras is going to accept GATE Application form from 01-09-2018. Aspirants, who’re willing to get admission in PG Engineering/Technology program through GATE which will be held on 2nd, 3rd, 9th and 10th February 2019, they must fill GATE Online Form till 21-09-2018.
Also Check: GATE Eligibility Criteria
GATE Mechanical Syllabus 2019
Go through below section and grab GATE Mechanical Engineering Syllabus. Prepare for only those topics which are included in GATE ME Syllabus. Important Topic of GATE Mechanical Syllabi have been provided below section wise. Take a look and check your GATE Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering to appear in upcoming GATE Exams 2019
How to Do: GATE Login
GATE Mechanical 2019 Syllabus: Section 1-Engineering Mathematics
- Linear Algebra: Matrix algebra, systems of linear equations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors.
- Calculus: Functions of single variable, limit, continuity and differentiability, mean value theorems, indeterminate forms; evaluation of definite and improper integrals; double and triple integrals; partial derivatives, total derivative, Taylor series (in one and two variables), maxima and minima, Fourier series; gradient, divergence and curl, vector identities, directional derivatives, line, surface and volume integrals, applications of Gauss, Stokes and Green’s theorems.
- Differential Equations: First order equations (linear and nonlinear); higher order linear differential equations with constant coefficients; Euler-Cauchy equation; initial and boundary value problems; Laplace transforms; solutions of heat, wave and Laplace’s equations.
- Complex Variables: Analytic functions; Cauchy-Riemann equations; Cauchy’s integral theorem and integral formula; Taylor and Laurent series.
- Probability And Statistics: Definitions of probability, sampling theorems, conditional probability; mean, median, mode and standard deviation; random variables, binomial, Poisson and normal distributions.
- Numerical Methods: Numerical solutions of linear and non-linear algebraic equations; integration by trapezoidal and Simpson’s rules; single and multi-step methods for differential equations.
START NOW: GATE Mock Test
GATE Mechanical Syllabus: Section 2 – Applied Mechanics and Design
- Engineering Mechanics: Free-body diagrams and equilibrium; trusses and frames; virtual work; kinematics and dynamics of particles and of rigid bodies in plane motion; impulse and momentum (linear and angular) and energy formulations, collisions.
- Mechanics of Materials: Stress and strain, elastic constants, Poisson’s ratio; Mohr’s circle for plane stress and plane strain; thin cylinders; shear force and bending moment diagrams; bending and shear stresses; deflection of beams; torsion of circular shafts; Euler’s theory of columns; energy methods; thermal stresses; strain gauges and rosettes; testing of materials with universal testing machine; testing of hardness and impact strength.
- Theory of Machines: Displacement, velocity and acceleration analysis of plane mechanisms; dynamic analysis of linkages; cams; gears and gear trains; flywheels and governors; balancing of reciprocating and rotating masses; gyroscope.
- Vibrations: Free and forced vibration of single degree of freedom systems, effect of damping; vibration isolation; resonance; critical speeds of shafts.
- Machine Design: Design for static and dynamic loading; failure theories; fatigue strength and the S-N diagram; principles of the design of machine elements such as bolted, riveted and welded joints; shafts, gears, rolling and sliding contact bearings, brakes and clutches, springs.
Want to Know How to Do: GATE Registration
GATE Mechanical Engineering Syllabus: Section 3 – Fluid Mechanics and Thermal Sciences
- Fluid Mechanics: Fluid properties; fluid statics, manometry, buoyancy, forces on submerged bodies, stability of floating bodies; control-volume analysis of mass, momentum and energy; fluid acceleration; differential equations of continuity and momentum; Bernoulli’s equation; dimensional analysis; viscous flow of incompressible fluids, boundary layer, elementary turbulent flow, flow through pipes, head losses in pipes, bends and fittings.
- Heat-Transfer: Modes of heat transfer; one dimensional heat conduction, resistance concept and electrical analogy, heat transfer through fins; unsteady heat conduction, lumped parameter system, Heisler’s charts; thermal boundary layer, dimensionless parameters in free and forced convective heat transfer, heat transfer correlations for flow over flat plates and through pipes, effect of turbulence; heat exchanger performance, LMTD and NTU methods; radiative heat transfer, StefanBoltzmann law, Wien’s displacement law, black and grey surfaces, view factors, radiation network analysis.
- Thermodynamics: Thermodynamic systems and processes; properties of pure substances, behaviour of ideal and real gases; zeroth and first laws of thermodynamics, calculation of work and heat in various processes; second law of thermodynamics; thermodynamic property charts and tables, availability and irreversibility; thermodynamic relations.
- Applications: Power Engineering: Air and gas compressors; vapour and gas power cycles, concepts of regeneration and reheat. I.C. Engines: Air-standard Otto, Diesel and dual cycles. Refrigeration and air-conditioning: Vapour and gas refrigeration and heat pump cycles; properties of moist air, psychrometric chart, basic psychrometric processes. Turbomachinery: Impulse and reaction principles, velocity diagrams, Pelton-wheel, Francis and Kaplan turbines.
You May Read This: How to Prepare for GATE
GATE ME Syllabus: Section 4 – Materials, Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering
- Engineering Materials: Structure and properties of engineering materials, phase diagrams, heat treatment, stress-strain diagrams for engineering materials.
- Casting, Forming and Joining Processes: Different types of castings, design of patterns, moulds and cores; solidification and cooling; riser and gating design. Plastic deformation and yield criteria; fundamentals of hot and cold working processes; load estimation for bulk (forging, rolling, extrusion, drawing) and sheet (shearing, deep drawing, bending) metal forming processes; principles of powder metallurgy. Principles of welding, brazing, soldering and adhesive bonding.
- Machining and Machine Tool Operations: Mechanics of machining; basic machine tools; single and multi-point cutting tools, tool geometry and materials, tool life and wear; economics of machining; principles of non-traditional machining processes; principles of work holding, design of jigs and fixtures.
- Metrology and Inspection: Limits, fits and tolerances; linear and angular measurements; comparators; gauge design; interferometry; form and finish measurement; alignment and testing methods; tolerance analysis in manufacturing and assembly.
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing: Basic concepts of CAD/CAM and their integration tools. Production Planning and Control: Forecasting models, aggregate production planning, scheduling, materials requirement planning.
- Inventory Control: Deterministic models; safety stock inventory control systems. Operations Research: Linear programming, simplex method, transportation, assignment, network flow models, simple queuing models, PERT and CPM.
You Can Also Check: GATE Question Papers
GATE Mechanical Syllabus With Weightage
|Subject||Paper 2018 (Weightage)||Paper 2017 (Weightage)|
|Set 1||Set 2||Set 1||Set 2|
GATE Mechanical Exam Pattern
GATE 2019 Types of Questions:
GATE 2019 would contain questions of two different types in GATE Mechanical papers. Details of which are provided below. You can have a look on provided information
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ): These Objective type questions carry 1 or 2 marks each in all papers and sections. These questions are objective in nature, and each will have a choice of four answers, out of which the candidate has to mark the correct answer(s).
- Numerical Answer Questions: These carry 1 or 2 marks each in all papers and sections. For these questions the answer is a real number, to be entered by the candidate using the virtual keypad. No choices will be shown for this type of questions.
Check Also: GATE Study Material
Allocation of Marks According To Sections:
Here distribution of marks for Mechanical Engineering Exam is provided below. Applicants can go through below section and get the details of distribution of topics according to their weightage in percent.
Weightage in percent of main topics are provided, candidates can go through GATE Mechanical Allocation of Marks and prepare more hard for those subjects which includes maximum percent of marks in GATE exam 2019.
|GATE Mechanical EngineeringPaper Pattern|
|Engineering Mathematics||Engineering Mathematics will have 13% of total marks weigh|
|General Aptitude||General Aptitude will have 15% of total marks weigh|
|Subject questions||Subject questions will have rest 72% of total marks weigh|
Do You Know:
How To Download GATE Mechanical Engineering Syllabus PDF?
- To download GATE Mechanical Syllabus PDF, you need to follow below given simple and easy steps to get PDF of GATE ME Syllabus 2019.
- Get GATE ME Exam Syllabus by visiting official web page of Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering Exam that is gate.iitm.ac.in.
- Move cursor towards “Pre Exam” that is available in menu bar.
- Further from drop down list press on “Syllabi” tab.
- On appeared page press “ME: Mechanical Engineering” link.
- By pressing said link GATE Mechanical Engineering Syllabus PDFwill appear.
- You can go through GATE ME Syllabus carefully.
- Further, press suitable link to download GATE Mechanical Engineering Syllabi PDF.
- At last, you can take the hard copy of GATE Mechanical Syllabi and keep it secure as it will be useful for coming exam preparation.
Important and Final Note:
Candidates who wish to obtain other details GATE Mechanical Syllabus 2019 may check the above given Official Link. Contenders, we suggest you to stay linked with us by visiting our web portal regularly.
Have A Look On Below Section Of GATE