UPSC Geography Syllabus
Geography is one of the optional papers in UPSC IAS Mains Exam. Those who have opted it as IAS Mains Optional Subject, they may refer UPSC Geography Syllabus. You may download UPSC Geography Optional Syllabus pdf.
Geography as one the optional subject comprise of 2 papers. Each paper is of 250 marks with a total of 500 marks. UPSC Geography Syllabus PDF 2020 comprises all topics as physical, economic and social geography of India & world.
UPSC Geography Optional Syllabus:
In order to crack UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam, plan your studies by referring detailed UPSC Geography Optional Syllabus. Geomorphology, Climatology, Oceanography, Biogeography, Models, Theories and Laws are among the main topics of UPSC Mains Geography Syllabus (Paper 1). To gain more stuff for UPSC Geography Syllabus 2020, take a look of below page created by team of recruitmentresult.com
UPSC Geography Syllabus
UPSC Geography Syllabus For Prelims & Mains 2020:
Geography is an important subject & is part of UPSC Prelims And Mains Exams. Its rational nature and scoring ability make it among popular subject those with both science and arts backgrounds.
The geography section in the IAS Prelims Syllabus deals with insight of Indian Geography and World Geography. Questions in prelims are from physical, social and economic geography of India and the world.
UPSC Geography Syllabus For Prelims/Mains or UPSC Geography Syllabus In Hindi is well prescribed on this page. Go through detailed UPSC Civil Services Mains Geography Syllabus & plan your studies.
Check Out: Latest UPSC Notification Details
UPSC Geography Syllabus 2020
Geography Optional Syllabus – Paper – I
Principles of Geography Physical Geography:
- Factors controlling landform development; endogenetic and exogenetic forces; Origin and evolution of the earth’s crust; Fundamentals of geomagnetism; Physical conditions of the earth’s interior.
- Geosynclines; Continental drift; Isostasy; Plate tectonics; Recent views on mountain building; Vulcanicity
- Earthquakes and Tsunamis; Concepts of geomorphic cycles and Landscape development ; Denudation chronology
- Channel morphology; Erosion surfaces; Slope development
- Applied Geomorphology, Geohydrology, economic geology and environment.
UPSC IAS Geography Syllabus – Climatology:
- Temperature and pressure belts of the world; Heat budget of the earth; Atmospheric circulation; atmospheric stability and instability
- Planetary and local winds; Monsoons and jet streams; Air masses and fronto genesis, Temperate and tropical cyclones
- Types and distribution of precipitation
- Weather and Climate; Koppen’s, Thornthwaite’s and Trewartha’s classification of world climates
- Hydrological cycle; Global climatic change and role and response of man in climatic changes, Applied climatology and Urban climate.
- Bottom topography of the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Oceans; Temperature and salinity of the oceans
- Heat and salt budgets, Ocean deposits; Waves, currents and tides; Marine resoures: biotic, mineral and energy resources
- Coral reefs, coral bleaching
- sealevel changes; law of the sea and marine pollution.
Also Check: UPSC Previous Year Question
UPSC Geography Syllabus Optional –Biogeography:
- Genesis of soils; Classification and distribution of soils; Soil profile; Soil erosion, Degradation and conservation
- Factors influencing world distribution of plants and animals; Problems of deforestation and conservation measures
- Social forestry; agro-forestry
- Wild life; Major gene pool centres
- Principle of ecology; Human ecological adaptations; Influence of man on ecology and environment
- Global and regional ecological changes and imbalances; Ecosystem their management and conservation
- Environmental degradation, management and conservation; Biodiversity and sustainable development
- Environmental policy
- Environmental hazards and remedial measures; Environmental education and legislation
Must Check: UPSC Exam Pattern
Perspectives in Human Geography:
- Areal differentiation; regional synthesis; Dichotomy and dualism; Environmentalism; Quantitative revolution and locational analysis
- Radical, behavioural, human and welfare approaches; Languages, religions and secularization
- Cultural regions of the world; Human development index
Geography Syllabus For UPSC – Economic Geography:
- World economic development: measurement and problems; World resources and their distribution; Energy crisis
- the limits to growth; World agriculture: typology of agricultural regions; agricultural inputs and productivity
- Food and nutrition problems; Food security; famine: causes, effects and remedies; World industries
- locational patterns and problems; patterns of world trade
Population and Settlement Geography:
- Growth and distribution of world population; demographic attributes; Causes and consequences of migration
- concepts of over-under-and optimum population; Population theories
- world population problems and policies, Social well-being and quality of life; Population as social capital.
- Types and patterns of rural settlements; Environmental issues in rural settlements; Hierarchy of urban settlements
- Urban morphology: Concepts of primate city and rank-size rule; Functional classification of towns
- Sphere of urban influence; Rural – urban fringe
- Satellite towns; Problems and remedies of urbanization; Sustainable development of cities
UPSC Mains Geography Syllabus – Regional Planning:
- Concept of a region; Types of regions and methods of regionalisation; Growth centres and growth poles
- Regional imbalances; regional development strategies; environmental issues in regional planning
- Planning for sustainable development
Models, Theories and Laws in Human Geography:
- Systems analysis in Human geography; Malthusian, Marxian and demographic transition models
- Central Place theories of Christaller and Losch;Perroux and Boudeville; Von Thunen’s model of agricultural location
- Weber’s model of industrial location; Ostov’s model of stages of growth. Heartland and Rimland theories
- Laws of international boundaries and frontiers.
UPSC Geography Syllabus Optional – Paper – 2
Geography of India:
- Physical Setting:
- Space relationship of India with neighboring countries; Structure and relief; Drainage system and watersheds
- Physiographic regions; Mechanism of Indian monsoons and rainfall patterns, Tropical cyclones and western disturbances
- Floods and droughts; Climatic regions; Natural vegetation; Soil types and their distributions.
- Geography Syllabus For UPSC –Resources:
- Land, surface and ground water
- Energy, minerals, biotic and marine resources
- Forest and wild life resources and their conservation; Energy crisis.
- Infrastructure: Irrigation, Seeds, Fertilizers, Power; Institutional Factors: Land Holdings, Land Tenure And Land Reforms
- Cropping Pattern, Agricultural Productivity, Agricultural Intensity, Crop Combination
- Land Capability; Agro And Socialforestry; Green Revolution And Its Socioeconomic And Ecological Implications
- Significance Of Dry Farming
- Livestock Resources And White Revolution; Aqua – Culture; Sericulture, Apiculture And Poultry; Agricultural Regionalisation;
- Agro-Climatic Zones; Agro- Ecological Regions.
- UPSC Geography Syllabus Industry:
- Evolution Of Industries; Locational Factors Of Cotton, Jute, Textile, Iron And Steel, Aluminium, Fertilizer, Paper added in UPSC Geography Syllabus
- Chemical And Pharmaceutical, Automobile
- Cottage And Agro-Based Industries; Industrial Houses And Complexes Including Public Sector Undertakings; Industrial Regionalization
- New Industrial Policies
- Multinationals And Liberalization; Special Economic Zones; Tourism including eco -tourism.
- Transport, Communication and Trade:
- Road, railway, waterway, airway and pipeline networks and their complementary roles in regional development
- Growing importance of ports on national and foreign trade; Trade balance; Trade Policy; Export processing zones added in UPSC Geography Syllabus
- Developments in communication and information technology and their impacts on economy and society
- Indian space programme.
- Cultural Setting:
- Historical Perspective of Indian Society; Racial, linguistic and ethnic diversities; religious minorities; major tribes
- Tribal areas and their problems; cultural regions; Growth, distribution and density of population
- Demographic attributes: sex-ratio, age structure, literacy rate, work-force, dependency ratio added in UPSC Geography Syllabus
- longevity; migration (inter-regional, intra- regional and international) and associated problems
- Population problems and policies; Health indicators.
- Geography Optional Syllabus –Settlements:
- Types, patterns and morphology of rural settlements; Urban developments; Morphology of Indian cities
- Functional classification of Indian cities; Conurbations and metropolitan regions; urban sprawl
- Slums and associated problems; town planning; Problems of urbanization and remedies. added in UPSC Geography Syllabus
- Regional Development and Planning:
- Experience Of Regional Planning In India; Five Year Plans; Integrated Rural Development Programmes
- Panchayati Raj And Decentralised Planning; Command Area Development; Watershed Management
- Planning For Backward Area, Desert, Drought Prone, Hill, Tribal Area Development; Multi-Level Planning
- Regional Planning And Development Of Island Territories
- UPSC IAS Geography Syllabus – Political Aspects:
- Geographical Basis Of Indian Federalism; State Reorganisation; Emergence Of New States; Regional Consciousness And Inter State Issues
- International Boundary Of India And Related Issues; Cross Border Terrorism; India’s Role In World Affairs added in UPSC Geography Syllabus
- Geopolitics Of South Asia And Indian Ocean Realm.
- Contemporary Issues:
- Ecological issues: Environmental hazards: landslides, earthquakes, Tsunamis, floods and droughts, epidemics
- Issues relating to environmental pollution; Changes in patterns of land use; Principles of environmental impact assessment and environmental management
- Population explosion and food security
- Environmental degradation; Deforestation, desertification and soil erosion; Problems of agrarian and industrial unrest
- Regional disparities in economic development
- Concept of sustainable growth and development
- Environmental awareness; Linkage of rivers; Globalisation and Indian economy.
Download: UPSC Geography Syllabus PDF
UPSC Geography Preparation Books
- Geography of India by Majid Husain.
- World Geography by Majid Husain.
- Oxford School Atlas
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography.
- Physical, Human and Economic Geography for Civil Services Examination by D R Khuller
- Objective Indian and World Geography
- Geography of India by Surender Singh
- India: A Comprehensive Geography by D.R Khuller
START Now: Online Test For UPSC
UPSC Geography Syllabus contains all topics as well as sub topics. Aspirants are recommended to prepare well for exam. UPSC Mains Geography Syllabus will guide you in scoring good marks in exam. We have also provided some of the books which you may refer for best preparation.
People Also Search Related To It:
- UPSC Geography Syllabus 2021
- UPSC Geography Syllabus Books
- UPSC Geography Syllabus Download
- UPSC Geography Syllabus PDF in Hindi
- UPSC Geography Syllabus Quora
- UPSC Geography Syllabus Analysis
- Geography Syllabus for UPSC Prelims and Mains
- UPSC CSE Geography Syllabus
- UPSC Geography Detailed Syllabus
- UPSC Geography Syllabus PDF Download
- UPSC Geography Optional Syllabus in English PDF
- UPSC Geography Syllabus Hindi
- UPSC Geography Syllabus in Marathi
- UPSC Geography Syllabus Mains
- UPSC Geography Optional Syllabus in Hindi
- UPSC World Geography Syllabus
Visit its Official Link to grab more information about UPSC Geography Syllabus 2020. Keep visiting our portal for receiving more updates about jobs, Geography Optional Syllabus etc. Thank you for visiting us.
Something That You Should Put An Eye On
|UPSC Syllabus||UPSC Eligibility Criteria|
|IAS Syllabus||UPSC Calendar|
|UPSC Online Application Status||UPSC Answer Key|
|UPSC Admit Card||UPSC Books For Prelims/Mains Exam|