UPSC Philosophy Syllabus
All aspirants applied for the UPSC exam notification can collect the updated UPSC Philosophy Syllabus from this page. Study on General as well as fundamental problems concerning existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language is well acknowledge as Philosophy. Aspirants can download latest UPSC IAS Philosophy Syllabus prelims as well as mains in PDF format with the help of direct link given on this page.
With Proper preparation and assistance of UPSC Philosophy Syllabus 2018, ones can crack the Indian Administrative Service Exam. By scroll down this page, aspirants will grab complete topics wise details of Philosophy Syllabus for UPSC Exam. After the deep survey, the diligent team of recruitmentresult.com has equipped all necessary details here, so individuals are advised to take overview of this web page.
UPSC Philosophy Syllabus
UPSC Philosophy Prelims Syllabus
Section-A Problems of Philosophy
Substance and Attributes: Aristole, Descartes, Locke, Berkeley’s criticism, Nyaya-Viasesika, Buddhist criticism of Pudgala.
God, Soul and the World: Thomas Acquinas, St. Augustine, Spinoza, Descartes, Nyaya-Vaisesika, Sankara, Ramanuja.
Universals: Realism and Nominalism (Plato, Aristotle, Berkeley’s criticism of abstract ideas, Nyay-Vaisesika, Buddhism).
Bases of Knowledge: Pramanavada in Carvaka, Nyaya-Vaisesika, Buddhism, Advaita Vedanta.
Truth and Error: Correspondence Theory, Coherence theory, Pragmatic Theory; Khyativada (Anyathakhyati, Akhyati, Anivacaniyakhyati).
Matter and Mind: Descartes, Spinoza, Leibnitz, Berkerley.
Get Here List of Preparation Books: UPSC Books
- Truth and Validity
- Classification of sentences: Traditional and Modern.
- Syllogism: Figures and Moods; Rules of Syllogism (General and special) validation by Venn Diagrames; Formal Fallacies.
- Sentential Calculus: Symbolisation; Truth-Functions and their interdefinability; Truth Tables; Formal Proof.
- Statement of fact and statement of value.
- Right and Good; Teleology and Deontology.
- Psychological Hedonism.
- Utilitarianism (Bentham; J.S. Mill).
- Kantian Ethics.
- Problem of the freedom of will.
- Moral Judgements : Descriptivism, Prescriptivism, Emotivism.
- Niskamakarma : Sthitaprajna.
- Jaina Ethics
- Four Noble Truths and Eight fold path in Buddhism.
- Gandhian Ethics : Satya, Ahimsa, Ends and Means.
Get Ready to Give: Online Test for UPSC
UPSC Philosophy Mains Syllabus
Candidates who had successfully qualified IAS Prelims exam and want to take part in the Indian Administrative Service Mains Exams must check UPSC IAS Philosophy Mains Syllabus here.
UPSC Philosophy Syllabus Section A
History and Problems of Philosophy
- Plato and Aristotle: Ideas; Substance; Form and Matter; Causation; Actuality and Potentiality.
- Rationalism (Descartes, Spinoza, Leibniz): Cartesian Method and Certain Knowledge; Substance; God; Mind-Body Dualism; Determinism and Freedom.
- Empiricism (Locke, Berkeley, Hume): Theory of Knowledge; Substance and Qualities; Self and God; Scepticism.
- Kant: Possibility of Synthetic a priori Judgments; Space and Time; Categories; Ideas of Reason; Antinomies; Critique of Proofs for the Existence of God
- Hegel: Dialectical Method; Absolute Idealism
- Moore, Russell and Early Wittgenstein: Defence of Commonsense; Refutation of Idealism; Logical Atomism; Logical Constructions; Incomplete Symbols; Picture Theory of Meaning; Saying and Showing.
- Logical Positivism: Verification Theory of Meaning; Rejection of Metaphysics; Linguistic Theory of Necessary Propositions.
- Later Wittgenstein: Meaning and Use; Language-games; Critique of Private Language.
- Phenomenology (Husserl): Method; Theory of Essences; Avoidance of Psychologism.
- Existentialism (Kierkegaard, Sartre, Heidegger): Existence and Essence; Choice, Responsibility and Authentic Existence; Being-in-the –world and Temporality.
- Quine and Strawson: Critique of Empiricism; Theory of Basic Particulars and Persons.
- Ca-rva-ka : Theory of Knowledge; Rejection of Transcendent Entities.
- Jainism: Theory of Reality; Saptabhan(ginaya; Bondage and Liberation.
- Schools of Buddhism: Prati-tyasamutpa-da; Ksanikavada, Naira-tmyava-da
- Nya-ya- Vais’esika: Theory of Categories; Theory of Appearance; Theory of Prama-na; Self, Liberation; God; Proofs for the Existence of God; Theory of Causation; Atomistic Theory of Creation.
- Sa-mkhya: Prakrti; Purusa; Causation; Liberation
- Yoga: Citta; Cittavrtti; Klesas; Samadhi; Kaivalya.
- Mima-msa-: Theory of Knowledge
- Schools of Veda-nta: Brahman; I-s’vara; A-tman; Jiva; Jagat; Ma-ya-; Avidya-; Adhya-sa; Moksa; Aprthaksiddhi; Pancavidhabheda
- Aurobindo: Evolution, Involution; Integral Yoga.
Also Check Out Here: UPSC Exam Pattern
UPSC Philosophy Syllabus Section B
- Social and Political Ideals: Equality, Justice, Liberty.
- Sovereignty: Austin, Bodin, Laski, Kautilya.
- Individual and State: Rights; Duties and Accountability
- Forms of Government: Monarchy; Theocracy and Democracy.
- Political Ideologies: Anarchism; Marxism and Socialism
- Humanism; Secularism; Multiculturalism.
- Crime and Punishment: Corruption, Mass Violence, Genocide, Capital Punishment.
- Development and Social Progress.
- Gender Discrimination: Female Foeticide, Land and Property Rights; Empowernment.
- Caste Discrimination: Gandhi and Ambedkar
Philosophy of Religion: UPSC Philosophy Syllabus
- Notions of God: Attributes; Relation to Man and the World. (Indian and Western).
- Proofs for the Existence of God and their Critique (Indian and Western).
- Problem of Evil.
- Soul: Immortality; Rebirth and Liberation.
- Reason, Revelation and Faith.
- Religious Experience: Nature and Object (Indian and Western).
- Religion without God.
- Religion and Morality.
- Religious Pluralism and the Problem of Absolute Truth.
- Nature of Religious Language: Analogical and Symbolic; Cognitivist and Non- cognitive.
Download Here >>>> UPSC Philosophy Syllabus PDF
Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission is responsible for conducting the civil services examination. Every year thousands of applicants apply for the UPSC recruitment notification and want to enhance their career in government sector. Individuals can download the Civil services Philosophy Syllabus by hitting the direct link on which is given on this page.
All essential details of UPSC Philosophy Syllabus 2018 have been presented on the above section of this page. Candidates are suggested to regular visit on our web portal for acquiring latest information about Indian Administrative Service Exam Syllabus. Also, you can book mark this page by using Ctrl +D key for future requirements.
Something That You Should Put an Eye On
|UPSC Recruitment||Strategy for UPSC Examination|
|UPSC Challan Form||UPSC Result|
|How to Check UPSC Application Status||UPSC Admit Card|
|UPSC Calendar||UPSC Syllabus|