Stop and Read New Release IAS Syllabus from This Single Page. Aspirants, who started their preparation for IAS Civil Services Exam, they may need to check out the updated Syllabus which is provided here. Without being familiar with the IAS Civil Services Syllabus, no one can formulate the assumption of his achievement in its examination. So contenders may also download their IAS Prelims and Mains Syllabus in Pdf format through this page. Be in touch with us on our web portal to get latest updates about IAS Syllabus 2017.
Indian Administrative Services Examination has three stages namely Preliminary, Main Examination and interview/personality test. Prelims exam consists of Objective Type Questions and main examination will be of descriptive type. Aspirants can acquire more information related to Indian Administrative Services Syllabus such as IAS Civil Services Books details and other information etc from this page which is well organized by team of recruitmentresult.com.
This Page Includes–
- Syllabus of Preliminary Examination
- Syllabus of Main Examination
- List of optional subjects for Main Examination
- IAS Exam Pattern
About Indian Academy of Science
Indian Academy of Science has been established in 1934. There Eligible candidates are appointed for the civil service to maintain law and order in the country. Candidates are selected on the basis of Civil Services Examination, which is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). Huge numbers of candidates apply for this exam but only few are selected to serve their nation.
Applicants have to face some papers to clear this exam. We are giving the syllabus according to per paper. Students who are applying are requested to download program, which is provided below.
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography -Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance -Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization General Science.
You Can Also Check: Latest Current Affairs Updates for Competitive Exams
- Interpersonal skills including Communication Skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level).
- English Language Comprehension skills (Class X level)
Paper 1:Any Indian Language
For this examination candidates have to choose one language from the Languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution. This exam is not compulsory for applicants hailing from the States of Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Sikkim.
This paper is conducted to test eligibility of aspirants and to check skills of aspirants in English and Indian Language concerned. Aspirants are selected on basis of some facts like how they understand these languages and how they express their ideas clearly and correctly.
The pattern of questions would be generally as follows:-
(i) Comprehension of given passages
(ii) Precis Writing
(iii) Usage and Vocabulary
Read Also: How to Prepare for English
Paper 1: Essay
Candidates may be required to write essays on multiple topics. They will be expected to keep closely to the subject of the essay to arrange their ideas in orderly fashion and to write concisely Credit will be given for effective and exact expression.
Paper 2: General Studies 1
- (Indian Heritage/ Culture, World History & Geography)
- Indian culture will cover the main feature of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from olden to present times.
- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues
- The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors /contributions from different parts of the country.
- Post-independence consolidation and restructuring within the country.
Must Check Below Given Links, To Prepare for History and Geography in Better Way:
Part 3: General Studies 2
- (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International Relations)
- Functions and duties of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
- Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
- Development processes and the development industry- the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
- Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies.
Must Read This: How To Prepare For Online Exam
Paper 4: General Studies 3
- (Technology, Economic Development, Bio-Diversity, Environment, Security & Disaster Management)
- Inclusive growth and issues arising from it.
- Government Budgeting.
- Development, Bio diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management.
- Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism.
- Food processing and related industries in India- scope and significance, location, upstream and downstream requirements, supply chain management.
- Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate.
- Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
- Disaster and disaster management.
- Linkages between development and spread of extremism.
- Land reforms in India.
Paper 5: General Studies 4
- (Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude)
- Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships.
- Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and behaviour; moral and political attitudes; social influence and persuasion.
- Emotional intelligence-concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
- Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
Give Now: Online Test For UPSC
Paper 6 and 7: Optional 1 (Of your choice)/ Optional 2 (Of your choice)
Candidates can choose any optional from the subjects, which are given below:
- List of optional subjects for Main Examination
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
- Civil Engineering
- Commerce and Accountancy
- Electrical Engineering Geography
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Science
- Political Science and International Relations
- Public Administration
- Literature of any one of the following languages: Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Manipuri, Marathi, Nepali, Oriya, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Santali, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu and English.
Have a Look On this Useful Section
|IAS Application Form||IAS Preparation Tips|
|IAS Exam Books||IAS Previous Year Papers|
|IAS New Pattern||IAS Eligibility Criteria|
|IAS Salary||IAS Toppers Interview Questions|
|IAS Coaching Centers||IAS Success Stories|
|How To Become An IAS Officer||IAS Cut Off|
IAS Exam Pattern
Indian Administrative Service Exam is conducted in three parts. In the below section you may check pattern of your examination. According to this patter you may know weightage of any subject. So with the help of this you can easily qualify this exam. IAS exam is organized in three parts.
- Preliminary Exam (Written)
- Main Exam (Written Exam And Interview)
To Prepare For Written Exam And Interview, Candidates Are Advised To Go Through Below Given Articles:
|Preliminary exam||Paper 1: General Studies||200 marks||2 hours|
|Paper 2: Aptitude Skills||200 marks||2 hours|
Check Here: Latest Aptitude Questions & Answers
|Main examination||Paper 1: One of the Indian languages chosen from the prescribed list||300|
|Paper 2: English||300|
|Paper 3: Essay||250|
|Paper 4th/5th/6th/7th : General Studies (250 marks for each paper)||1000|
|Paper 8th & 9th : Optional subject 1||500|
|Total Marks for written examination (Marks of English and Language will not be counted )||1750|
Aspirants who will qualify Preliminary and Main examination will be called for Interview. This Interview will be of 275 marks.
Check Here:- Tips For Dressing When Job-Hunting
In short, aspirants, who are going to appear in the Indian Administrative Service, Indian Police Service, Indian Revenue Service, Indian Forest Service and other examination, may get the UPSC IAS Syllabus and exam pattern through online mode. As per the official information, Union Public Service Commission recently published IAS, IPS, IRS, IFS posts Syllabus for selecting the concerned and qualified candidates so for better preparation, you may check 10 Useful Technique to Qualify IAS Exam from our web portal.
You may visit the Official Website for more details about IAS Syllabus 2017.
It is advisable to the applying aspirants to prepare according to the syllabus of the IAS Examination and they can also get the help form the previous years’ question papers as well to recognize the setup of IAS Question Papers. Candidates you may join us on Facebook and Google Plus to get latest updates about any exam, admit card or its result. If you have any query you may ask in comment box. We will try to solve it shortly.