UGC NET Eligibility
Before applying for UGC NET Exam, candidates must ensure required NTA UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2022. NTA UGC NET Eligibility Criteria consists of its essential qualification, age limit required, exam details etc.
Enormous numbers of candidates apply for the exam out of which various applications get rejected due to non-compliance with age limit & qualifications. So, it is very important for all the appliers to check required NTA UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2022.
National Eligibility Test is organized twice in a year for the selection of eligible and deserving aspirants for junior research fellowship and assistant professor posts. Additionally, aspirants can also check the complete NTA UGC national eligibility test details below.
UGC NET Highlights 2022
Some key points for NET 2022 are given in the table below:
Full form of the Exam
University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test (UGC NET)
Name of Organization
National Testing Agency (NTA)
Twice a year
For the selection of candidates for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Assistant Professors
Mode of Application
Online (Computer-Based Test)
3 Hours (180 Minutes)
Language/Medium of Exam
English and Hindi
No. of Papers and Total Marks
50 MCQs in Paper 1 and 100 MCQs in Paper 2
Determine the eligibility of candidates for posts of only Assistant Professor or both Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Assistant Professor in Indian universities and colleges
No. of Test Cities
Official Website & Helpline No.
UGC NET Eligibility
Following is the requisite NTA UGC National Eligibility Test Eligibility Criteria in terms of Educational Qualifications. One must need to possess the following qualifications if desire to enroll for NTA UGC NET 2022:
- Applicant must possess Master’s Degree or its equivalent scoring at least 55% aggregate marks (50% for SC/ST, OBC- NCL, PwD).
- Master’s Degree obtained in the field of in Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science and Applications, Electronic Science etc. shall be accepted.
- Final year students of Master’s Degree course or those waiting for final year results are eligible to appear for UGC NET 2022.
- Such candidates will be admitted provisionally and will be considered eligible for the award of Junior Research Fellowship or eligible for Assistant professor post, only after they secure at least 55% aggregate marks (50% for OBC (Non- creamy layer)/SC/ST/PwD category) in Master’s Program.
- Ph.d degree holders will be eligible to appear for NET examination if they had completed their Master’s Degree by September 19, 1991. Such candidates will be given relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks.
- It is advisable for candidates to appear in the subject of their post-graduation only. If your post- graduate subject is not on the list, you can opt for related subject.
General (Including candidates waiting for their PG Final Year result or going to be appeared in the exam)
55% aggregate in Master’s Degree or Equivalent Degree
ST/ SC/ OBC/ PWD/ Transgender (Including candidates waiting for their PG Final Year result or going to be appeared in the exam)
50% aggregate in Master’s Degree or Equivalent Degree
Ph.D. degree holders whose Master’s level examination had been completed by 19th September, 1991 (irrespective of the date of declaration of result)
50% aggregate in Master’s Degree or Equivalent Degree
Important Links related To UGC NET:
UGC NET Syllabus
UGC NET Result
UGC NET Previous Years Papers
NTA UGC NET 2022 Age Limit & Relaxation
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria in terms of Age Limit for Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professor and basis of Age Relaxation is listed below:
Junior Research Fellowship (JRF)
No upper age limit
Junior Research Fellowship
- Age of the candidate must not be more than 31 years.
- Reserved category (SC/ST, OBC- NCL, and PwD) and women applicants shall be provided 05 years of relaxation in the prescribed age limit.
- Candidates with research experience, limited to the period spent on research in the relevant/related subject of post-graduation degree, subject to a maximum of 5 years, on production of a certificate from appropriate authority, will be given relaxation.
- Candidates possessing L.L.M. Degree will be permitted age relaxation of 03 years.
- There is no upper age limit, if applying for Assistant Professor as intimated by UGC in the official NTA UGC NET Notification 2022.
Exemption (Eligibility for Assistant Professor)
- A candidate will be eligible for the post of Assistant Professor in Universities/Colleges/ Institutions, if they successfully clear NET/SLET/SET exam.
- Candidates who have been awarded a PhD Degree by UGC according to the minimum standards and procedure for the award will be exempted from the requirement of the minimum eligibility condition of NET/SELT/SET for appointment as Assistant Professor in Universities/ Colleges/ Institutions.
- Candidates who have passed the UGC/CSIR JRF examination prior to 1989 will also be exempted from appearing in NTA UGC NET 2022.
- Candidates who have cleared the States Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC for eligibility for Assistant Professor prior to June 1, 2002, will be exempted from appearing in NET.
Press Here For: UGC NET Official Link
Age Limit Relaxation
Age Limit Relaxation
Scheduled Caste / Scheduled Tribe
5 years (36 years)
Other Backward Classes (OBC)
Persons with disabilities (PwD)
Candidates having research experience
Period spent on research – Maximum 5 years
Candidates possessing L.L.M. Degree
Candidates who have served in the armed forces
Important Instructions to Candidates:
- You need not to send any certificates or documents and the application form to NTA.
- If candidate is found to be ineligible, their candidature will stand cancel in such event. She/he will be liable for legal action.
- Candidates belonging to the transgender category would be eligible to draw the same relaxation in fee, age and qualifying criteria for NET (i.e. JRF and Assistant Professor) as are available to SC/ST/ PwD categories. The subject wise cut-offs for this category should be the lowest among those for SC/ST/PwD/OBC–NCL categories in the corresponding subject.
UGC NET Eligibility-Reservation Policy
The commission implement the reservation policy stated by the Government of India rule. All the seats are reserved as per the percentage defined for each category in all the colleges/ universities. The reservation of seats is given below.
Reservation of seats (In %)
Scheduled Castes (SC)
Scheduled Tribes (ST)
Other Backward Classes (OBC) Non-Creamy Layer (NCL)
General-Economically Weaker Sections (General- EWS)
Persons with Disability (PwD) with 40% or more disability
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria FAQ’s
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria FAQs
Question 1: What is the UGC NET Eligibility 2022?
Answer: Candidates need to fulfil the UGC NET qualification & age limit to be eligible for the UGC NET Exam. The candidates need to have a master’s degree in Humanities, commerce, or other subjects. For the Junior research fellowship, there is an age limit whereas for assistant professors there is no age limit.
Question 2: What is the minimum UGC NET qualification for candidates in the unreserved category to apply for the exam?
Answer: As per the UGC NET qualification criteria candidates who have received at least 55% (without rounding off) in a Master’s Degree OR equivalent examination in Humanities (including languages), Social Science, Computer Science & Applications, Electronic Science, etc. from universities/ institutions are eligible to fill UGC NET Forms.
Question 3: Is there an UGC NET JRF Age Limit 2022?
Answer: The age limit for the UGC NET JRF exam is 31 years as on the cutoff dates decided by the commission. Age relaxation is also application for the JRF posts. The SC/ ST/ OBC has a relaxation of 5 years whereas for LLM & armed forces candidates the relaxation is 3 years. Candidates who are eligible must start their UGC NET preparation.
Know Here: NTA UGC NET Books
Question 4: What is the age limit to apply for Assistant Professor as per UGC NET eligibility 2022?
Answer: For Assistant Professor, there is no age limit. Candidates can appear for the exam at any age if they are capable to teach the students and help them choose a good career in life.
Question 5: How many attempts are in the UGC NET Exam?
Answer: There is no restriction on the number of attempts for the UGC NET exam. Candidates can appear as many times as they wish till they are overage for JRF and for an assistant professor you can appear as many times as your wish.
Question 6: Is a graduate is eligible for the UGC NET exam?
Answer: No, graduates are not eligible for the UGC NET Exam. Candidates need to have a master’s degree to fill out the online application. Candidates who have appeared for the final exam of their master’s degree and waiting for the result are also eligible for the exam and can fill out the application form.
Question 7: What is the minimum qualification for candidates from the reserved categories/people with disabilities to take the National Eligibility Test?
Answer: Candidates belonging to OBC Non-Creamy Layer/ Scheduled Caste (SC)/ Scheduled Tribe (ST)/ Persons with Disability (PwD) category have to obtain at least 50% marks (without rounding off) in a Master’s degree or equivalent examination to be eligible for this exam.
You Can Also: Get Latest Teaching Jobs
Get rest of the information about NTA UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2022 through this page. Candidates can easily Subscribe Our Free E-Mail Section to get latest updates on your timeline wall directly.