PNG Full Form
Portable Network Graphics is the full name of PNG. It is a format through which image compression has been done. Currently, PNG format is in high demand in the market as it gave a portable and well-compressed image file. Apart from PNG Full Form, we have provided other information related to PNG such as its meaning, History and Type of Digital Image Files etc on this page.
PNG Full Form
Meaning of PNG:
Portable Network Graphics or PNG is a format that is used for compression of images in a lossless way. This file format is commonly used in web. PNG was developed after JPEG and GIF format, so it contains many features of both the formats. PNG supports 24-bit color and hence a PNG image has 16 million colors but GIF image contains a maximum of 256 colors.
Also Know Here: What Is The Full Form Of JPEG?
History of the PNG Format:
In 1995, the working related to PNG has been started and also at that time GIF format was established. The main aim of creating the PNG format is to provide more enhance feature than Graphics Interchange Format (GIF) format.
- 1 October 1996: Version 1.0 of PNG specification was released.
- 31 December 1998: Version 1.1 was released with some small changes and three new chunks were added.
- 11 August 1999: Version 1.2 was released with one extra chunk.
- 10 November 2003: PNG became an International Standard (ISO/IEC 15948:2003).
- 3 March 2004: ISO/IEC 15948:2004.
Know About: RADAR Full Form
Type of Digital Image Files:
There are mainly 5 types of Digital Image Files that helps in storing the image.
1) TIFF (Tagged Image File Format):
TIFF is also known as TIF and the extension of this file type is “.tif”. This type of file is most commonly used in photo softwares like photoshop. The images having tif extension are uncompressed and thus imager data is in detailed way and the files are big in size.
2) JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group):
JPEG is also known as JPG and the extension of this file type is “.jpg”. The image of JPEG file is compressed and thus it stores a large amount of data in small size file. The digital cameras are also storing the image with this extension as due to small size format, one can takes lots of photos in one camera card.
3) GIF (Graphic Interchange Format):
GIF images use the extension “.gif” which means the file type stored in this format ends up with “.gif”. Through this format, images are also compressed but image compression is different as compared to JPEG. In GIF, the image compression is lossless which means that the data doesn’t lost at the time of compression but file size is not as small as it is in JPEG format.
GIF format is also used in animations but due to less number of colors, this file type is not used for photography purpose.
Read Here: CRT Full Form
4) PNG (Portable Network Graphics):
PNG file types are ending with “.png” and it was created on behalf of replacement of GIF format. In comparison to GIF, PNG offers better compression and full range of colors. PNG is used in web images but it is not used for printing of images.
While at the time of photography, PNG is also not good as compared to JPEG, as the file stored is larger in size. In images that contain text, we generally use PNG format as by using this, the image looks less ““bitmappy.”
5) Raw image files:
Data contains in this type of file is usually from a digital camera. Raw files contain a large amount of data, and as a result, the files are extremely larger in size. The files are called raw because the data stored in it is generally not processed and is uncompressed. Before editing or color correction, the raw files are firstly converted into TIFF format.
Advantage of PNG:
- The images that contains PNG format are of low-resolution, thus the image looks of good quality and is loaded quickly.
- PNG supports variety of colors and is also a good format for editing of images.
- At the time of compression, it doesn’t loss any data.
Get Here: MRI Full Form
Uses of PNG Format:
- For creating photos using drawings, illustrations, comics, etc
- To scan texts like articles, letters, newspapers, etc
- For creating charts, graphs, logos etc
From this page of recruitmentresult.com, candidates will be able to get complete information about PNG such as PNG Full Form, its meaning, history, advantages and uses.
Something That You Should Put an Eye On
|MIS Full Form||Full Form of CPC|
|NAAC Full Form||TCP/IP Full Form|
|BCC Full Form||OECD Full Form|
|VPN Full Form||USSD Full Form|