UPSC Mains Syllabus
Download UPSC Mains Syllabus From This page. Union Public Service Commission will conduct the Indian Administrative Services (IAS) Mains Exam from 8-01-2021 (five days). Candidates, who are going to appear in following exam, must download UPSC Mains Syllabus 2020 from here.
Highlights of UPSC IAS Exam 2020:
|Exam Name||Civil Services Examination|
|Conducting Body||Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Exam Mode||Offline (Pen-Paper Mode)|
|IAS Main Exam Date 2020||8th January 2021 (five days)|
[Revised Exam Date]
|Announcement of Main Exam Result||January 2020|
UPSC Mains Syllabus 2020
UPSC IAS Exam Pattern 2020:
|Qualifying Papers (Non-Ranking)|
|One of the Indian Language to be selected by the candidate from the languages included in the Eight Schedule to the Constitution.||300 Marks|
|Papers to be Counted for Merit (Ranking)|
|General Studies I (Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society)||250 Marks|
|General Studies II (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations)||250 Marks|
|General Studies III (Technology, Economic Development,Bio-diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management)||250 Marks|
|General Studies IV ( Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude)||250 Marks|
|Optional Subject- Paper 1||250 Marks|
|Optional Subject- Paper 2||250 Marks|
|For the optional papers in the Main Examination, UPSChas a list of about twenty-six subjects out of which anyone subject has to be selected by the candidate.||250 Marks|
|Subtotal (Written Test)||1750 Marks|
|Personality Test (Interview)||275 Marks|
Download Here: UPSC Mains Syllabus PDF
UPSC Mains Syllabus 2020
Qualifying Papers On Indian Languages And English
Candidates, preparing for UPSC Civil Services Exam 2018 must go through the UPSC Exam Pattern to know the complete details of examination.
The main purpose of the UPSC Entrance Exam is to examine the candidate’s ability and capability or to understand read and understand serious discursive prose, and to express his ideas clearly and correctly, in English and Indian Language concerned.
IAS Exam Pattern of questions is as follows:-
Comprehension of given passages
- Precis Writing
- Usage and Vocabulary
- Short Essay.
- Indian Languages:-
Comprehension of given passages.
- Precis Writing
- Usage and Vocabulary.
- Short Essay
- Translation from English to the Indian language and vice-versa.
UPSC IAS Mains Syllabus for Paper-I
- Candidates Preparing For IAS Exam will be required to write an essay on a specific topic. The choice of subjects will be given.
- They will be expected to organize their ideas systematically and to write briefly to the essence of the subject. Credit will be given for effective and accurate expression.
General Studies- I:
- Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society.
Indian Heritage and Culture:
- Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues
- The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors /contributions from different parts of the country.
- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country.
- History of the world will include events from 18th century such as industrial revolution, world wars, redrawal of national boundaries, colonization, decolonization, political philosophies like communism, capitalism, socialism etc.- their forms and effect on the society.
- Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
- Role of women and women’s organization, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
- Effects of globalization on Indian society
- Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
Geography of the World:
- Salient features of world’s physical geography.
- Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian subcontinent); factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India)
- Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc., geographical features and their location- changes in critical geographical features (including waterbodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
UPSC IAS 2020 Mains Syllabus Paper-III
General Studies- II: Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations.
Governance, Constitution, Polity
- Indian Constitution- historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure.
- Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
- Separation of powers between various organs dispute redressal mechanisms and institutions.
- Comparison of the Indian constitutional scheme with that of other countries
- Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
- Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive and the Judiciary Ministries and Departments of the Government; pressure groups and formal/informal associations and their role in the Polity.2
- Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act.
- Appointment to various Constitutional posts, powers, functions and responsibilities of various Constitutional Bodies.
- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
- Development processes and the development industry- the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
- Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
- Issues relating to poverty and hunger.
- Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential; citizens charters, transparency & accountability and institutional and other measures.
- Role of civil services in a democracy.
- India and its neighborhood- relations.
- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
- Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
UPSC IAS Exam Syllabus for PAPER-IV
General Studies-III: Technology, Economic Development, Bio diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management.
- Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
- Inclusive growth and issues arising from it.
- Government Budgeting.
- Effects of liberalization on the economy, changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth.
- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
- Investment models.
- Major crops cropping patterns in various parts of the country, different types of irrigation and irrigation systems storage, transport and marketing of agricultural produce and issues and related constraints; e-technology in the aid of farmers
- Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices; Public Distribution System- objectives, functioning, limitations, revamping; issues of buffer stocks and food security; Technology missions; economics of animal-rearing.
- Food processing and related industries in India- scope and significance, location, upstream and downstream requirements, supply chain management.
- Land reforms in India.
- Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
- Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
- Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, bio-technology and issues relating to intellectual property rights.
- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
- Disaster Management
- Disaster and disaster management.
- Linkages between development and spread of extremism.
- Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security.
- Challenges to internal security through communication networks, role of media and social networking sites in internal security challenges, basics of cyber security; money-laundering and its prevention
- Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism
- Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate
UPSC Civil Service Syllabus for Paper-V
General Studies- IV: Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude
- Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships. Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
- Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and behaviour; moral and political attitudes; social influence and persuasion.
- Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service , integrity, impartiality and non-partisanship, objectivity, dedication to public service, empathy, tolerance and compassion towards the weaker sections.
- Emotional intelligence-concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
- Public/Civil service values and Ethics in Public administration: Status and problems; ethical concerns and dilemmas in government and private institutions; laws, rules, regulations and conscience as sources of ethical guidance; accountability and ethical governance; strengthening of ethical and moral values in governance; ethical issues in international relations and funding; corporate governance.
- Probity in Governance: Concept of public service; Philosophical basis of governance and probity; Information sharing and transparency in government, Right to Information, Codes of Ethics, Codes of Conduct, Citizen’s Charters, Work culture, Quality of service delivery, Utilization of public funds, challenges of corruption.
UPSC Civil Service Exam Syllabus for Paper VI & VII
UPSC IAS Important Links:
IAS Exam Marking Scheme
Applicants are informed that there will be negative marking in the examination so must attempt each question very carefully –
- If applicant’s response wrong answers for any question then 1/3 marks will be deducted
- More than one answer for same question will be treated as wrong and same penalty will be applied
- If question is not attempted or left, then there will be no negative marking.
UPSC Civil Services Exam
Candidates who had filled the UPSC Application Form must initiate their exam preparation Exam is soon going to be held on specific locations. Complete details of Indian Administrative Services Examination Syllabus is available here
Every year around 5 lakh candidates appear for prelims, out of which only 15000 qualifies for mains. After that 15000 candidates are eligible to participate in the UPSC mains examination and only 1000 candidates known to crack highly dignified civil services exam.
Press Here For: UPSC Official Link
UPSC Syllabus 2020 Phase-II (Mains Examination)
- If you are one of them who had filled IAS Application Form then must check the Optional Subject Wise UPSC IAS Mains Syllabus which is well structured on this web page. Applicants can download the UPSC Mains Syllabus PDF through the above provided official link.
- Civil Services Exam Pattern provides the complete guidelines to aspirants. With the help of UPSC IAS Exam Pattern 2020 you get to know about the marking schemes, number of questions, duration etc.
- For better preparation of Indian Administrative Services examination, you may also go through Online Test for UPSC and preparation tips of IAS Exam. Candidates willing to know latest information about UPSC Mains Syllabus 2020 must stay tuned with us.
Best Preparation Books for UPSC Examination
|India’s Ancient Past||Download|
|India’s Struggle for Independence||Download|
|Geography Of India||Download|
|Pax Indica: India and the World of the Twenty-first Century||Download|
|Bharat: Gandhi Ke Baad||Download|
|Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude||Download|
|India After Gandhi||Download|
Check Now: Best UPSC Preparation Books
UPSC Mains Examination
- Candidates who have qualified in the Prelims round will only be called to attend the Mains round.
- The mains round consists of written exam which is followed by personality test.
- Mains exam involves written exam and personality test.
- Aspirants who successfully qualify the mains round will be appointed as civil servants.
- Paper I – An Indian language selected by the candidates
- Paper II – English
START NOW: Online Test For UPSC
UPSC Selection Procedure
Assortment of the eligible applicants will be done on the basis of their performance in the selection round. Candidates who successfully qualify the prelims examination are eligible to participate in the mains exams after that they need to clear the Interview round.
The final selection for Indian Administrative Services (IAS) will be done as per their rank in allotment list. Candidates will have to qualify all selection rounds to get appointed for the UPSC Indian Administrative Services Vacancies.
Preparation Tips To Qualify UPSC IAS Mains Exam
- Go through IAS paper pattern and UPSC IAS Syllabus.
- Evaluate the topics of UPSC IAS Mains Exam Syllabus PDF as per the worth.
- Make a plan or strategy for IAS Exam preparation.
- Get all Data Base of UPSC IAS Mains previous year question papers and
- Make notes and do regular practice
- Make habit of reading news paper daily.
- Do effective revision for IAS Mains GGS-2 Syllabus
- Refer Best books for preparation of IAS exam to score good marks.
- Try Increase the speed for productive time management.
- Be self confidence, persistence and self motivation as they are key factors to qualify the exam
Check Here: UPSC Syllabus of All Exams
UPSC IAS Mains Syllabus Download PDF Free!!!!
Civil Services Exam is well known as IAS (Indian Administrative Services) examination. Every year enormous numbers of applicants, apply for the UPSC Notification. Union Public Service Commission, responsible for appointment of all India services and group A & group B of Central services by conducting the examination.
To reach the designation of IAS Officer, one has to qualify Pre/ Main examination and interview. Candidates can prepare for exam with the help of Civil Services Main Syllabus and UPSC IAS Mains Exam Pattern.
Applicants can book mark this page by pressing Ctrl + D key for getting latest updates regarding UPSC Civil Services Exam pattern and UPSC Mains Syllabus 2020-21. If you have any query related to above provided information regarding IAS Mains GS syllabus, you can leave your comment in below provided comment box.